Watch out online shoppers! Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the busiest on-line shopping days of the year and the bad guys are planning to get rich with YOUR MONEY! Don’t let the excitement of the season distract you from being vigilant.
These are our top 10 fraud alert tips for online shoppers.
- Never click on links in emails. Enter that site address in your browser. There are fake sites out there that have evil-twin shopping sites.
- Don’t open attachments with special offers, this is a CLASSIC scam. You should be able to see it right away in your email.
- Watch for malicious ads and popups. If they seem too god to be true, they probably are.
- Beware of e-skimmers. The website you order from might be infected with an “e-skimmer.” You can prevent this by using PayPal or Amazon.
- Use a credit card NOT a debit card to buy stuff online. Use your debit card to take out cash only
- Do not shop over a public Wi-Fi, you do not know if it’s secure and who is listening.
- Be careful of free offers during the holidays. There is an explosion of survey fraud and gift card scams.
- Do not re-use any of your passwords. It is an invitation to be hacked.
- Keep a close watch on your credit card and bank accounts.
- Be especially suspicious of gift card scams. They are skyrocketing this year. Only get them from trusted sources.
Remember to stay alert and think before you click!
To learn more about Simplicity VoIP https://www.simplicityvoip.net/about-simplicity
Simplicity VoIP, based in Richmond, VA, provides hosted PBX, VoIP and business telephone solutions nationally to small, medium, and enterprise-level businesses for a comprehensive unified communications experience. It’s Class 5 geo-redundant VoIP platform is offered in addition to fax-to-email, phones and equipment, and managed services. Named as Richmond’s 11th fastest growing company by Richmond BizSense in 2017, Simplicity VoIP’s key to success is its on-site service, installation and training supported 24/7/365 by a world-class client services team.